Thursday, November 19, 2009

Politics Don't Enter This Picture

Two relatives of politicians were arrested for DWI lately, Sen. John Kerry's daughter, Alexandra, was arrested by the LAPD in Hollywood today (19 Nov) for suspicion of DWI and Sen. Dick Lugar's wife, Charlene, was arrested for DWI and leaving the scene of an accident by the Fairfax County PD.

No one was injured in either instance.

Thirty years ago this month (November 1979) I stopped drinking. I was not an alcoholic, I was addicted to nicotine. I decided to stop drinking for a host of reasons, one of which is the number of incidents I had to respond to as a police officer where alcohol was a contributing factor.

My kid sister drank herself to death at age 47 leaving a husband and two daughters. My father was a "functioning" alcoholic who died at age 64. I miss both terribly.

Alcoholism is no laughing matter. Perhaps this can be a wake up call for these two people; an opportunity for them to address what effect alcohol is having on their lives. My heart attack did that for me and cigarettes. It's been over eight years now since I abandoned the use of tobacco.

I'm certainly not implying that Alexandra or Charlene are alcoholics, but the use of alcohol, as well as other substances, exacts a terrible toll on society and I hope that they both can come out of this with a more healthy attitude towards drinking. As a husband and a parent I sympathize with both Senators and I can understand their concern for their loved ones in this situation.

I wish all involved well.

No comments: