Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Of Pets and Men

I took today off as my wife had in-patient surgery for a torn rotator cuff this morning. She is doing well and right now is resting comfortably on the other side of the couch.

I haven't read any of his books in years, but my daughter gave me her copy of Stephen King's "The Eyes of the Dragon" last week and I took it to have something to read in the waiting room during my wife's surgery. On page 21 I read this:

"[...] When dogs are excited and confused, they may bite; when men are excited and confused, they may fight. Dogs are great pets because they are loyal, but if a pet is all a man is, he is a bad man.

[...] A dog is just as eager to lick the hand of a bad master as he is to lick the hand of a good master, because dogs don't know the difference between good and bad. A dog will eat slops, vomit up the part his stomach can't stand, and then go back for more."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend, you have truly captured the essence of Joe Biden. And my first wife.

sig94 said...

Nickie - you can beat this man like a rented mule and he'll still come slinking back to the cabin begging for scraps.