Tuesday, August 31, 2010

From The Front

I am always eager to hear from the guys who are actually doing the work. As a police supervisor I wanted to hear form my men what was going down, how they accomplished their assignments within the parameters of the orders they were given. Even if I couldn't change a thing I wanted them to know that I was listening and had a healthy interest in what they had to say. This is extremely important for morale and helps ensure that if there is a problem brewing, enough people trust you enough to let you know before it gets out of hand.

So on two different fronts I am glad to hear from the people directly involved in saving our asses.

From Arizona:
Sheriff Larry Dever, whose officers patrol Cochise County along the border between Arizona and Mexico, said he finds it “amazing” that the U.S. State Department would refer the recently passed immigration law in his state to the United Nations Human Rights Council for review.

“Well, it’s just amazing to me,” Dever told CNSNews.com. “Course, I have about as much regard for the U.N. as I do the vermin that hides in the rocks around my house here and reaches out and tries to bite me every now and then."

Well said sir!

And from our armed forces:

As he winds down one war and escalates another, President Obama is struggling to win over the troops he's leading as commander in chief -- and military advocates say the real test will come as the nation approaches final timelines for withdrawal in Iraq and Afghanistan.

[...]His progress among members of the military, however, has been slower. A Military Times poll this year of its subscribers -- which include active-duty, reserves and guard troops, and some retirees and family members -- found that a majority disapproved of his leadership as their commander.

Pete Hegseth, an Iraqi war vet, states that Obama appears to be taking credit for a troop withdrawal deal that was made under the Bush administration.

Mr. Hegseth said he has spoken with troops who are particularly annoyed by the administration's move to de-emphasize the radical Islamic dimension of the terrorist threat in favor of the term "extremist," and he described the July 2011 timeline for withdrawal in Afghanistan as an "albatross around the neck of our soldiers."

Also, well said sir!

I found out within the past few days that my daughter, Soldier Girl, will be going to Afghanistan within the next two months. I trust God that she will be returned to us safe and sound. She finally got out of training this month but her unit has already deployed. She was very disappointed that the Army changed her orders when she arrived at Fort Bragg. She didn't get assigned to a Combat Brigade in the 82nd AB as her original orders stated when she left Goodfellow AFB.

I know I cannot rely upon this administration to do what's right or even to describe what is happening with any degree of accuracy. But I know I can trust my Lord and Savior. And I believe that is also well said.


5 comments:

Fredd said...

I was an instructor at Goodfellow AFB, and had a great time in San Angelo (1981-1984). And yes, things change at a moment's notice in the military, some for the better, some for the worse.

Hope your daughter fares well.

Cookie..... said...

"Sig" old friend, not only does your daughter have the prayers of your family, but she's also got the prayers of folks like my wife and myself and probably just about everyone who follows your blog and have gotten to know you.

She's in the best hands possible mate!

sig94 said...

Fredd - what course of instruction did you offer? My daughter did not care for TX. Too hot, too dry and too flat for a native upstate New Yawker. But the people were very nice. She was only there from March through July.

sig94 said...

Cookie - thanks buddy. You know that means a lot to me. Things are heating up over there under the new CIC and she needs all the prayers we can muster. All our troops need to be bathed in prayer from their relatives, friends and countrymen.

Dear Lord, let them accomplish their mission and return home safely.

Kid said...

Sig, All the best, and prayers and thoughts for Soldier Girl.