Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Nice To See This Happening

A young Muslim man comes to the aid of a Jew during an assault on a NYC subway. From the Daily News:

The Good Samaritan who tried to stop the Christmas-versus-Chanukah subway beating has two black eyes and a sore nose - but no regrets.

"I did what I thought was right," said Hassan Askari, 20. "I did the best that I could to help."

Askari, a Bangladeshi Muslim studying at Berkeley College in Manhattan, was on a Q train headed to Brooklyn late Friday when he came to the aid of young women confronted by a group of 10 thugs.

This kid has got some stones. The last time I used a subway was New Year's Eve, 1968, on my way to party at Times Square. No, I don't want to talk about it.

Fearful for the women's safety, he pushed one of the men away - and was then pounced on by the group, he said.

"They grabbed me and punched and beat me up," Askari said. "They punched me first. I didn't get a chance to punch him back."

Askari, all of 5-feet-7 and 140 pounds, said he was left with a swollen face.

He said he didn't go to the doctor because he's too busy working two waiter jobs and doesn't have the money for medical care.

This kid's parents should be real proud of him. Not many people, not many New Yorkers, would risk getting their brains beat in for a stranger.

He was mystified as to why the men became so outraged when the women and their male friends wished them a "Happy Chanukah" while they were yelling Merry Christmas" on the train car.

"I don't understand," he said. "They were just being nice."

One of the Jewish victims, Walter Adler, expressed amazement that Askari took the risk to try to help.

"That a random Muslim kid helped some Jewish kids, that's what's positive about New York," said Adler, 23, who suffered a broken nose and required four stitches to close a lip wound.

Thugs are thugs no matter where they are, what language they speak or what religion they claim to follow. These thugs deserve a good, old-fashioned NYPD broomstick interrogation.

No comments: