Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dede's Campaign Dies

Post #1,000

Dede Scozzafava has suspended her campaign for the NY 23rd Congressional District. Like the politically undead, she needs a frash, massive transfusion of cash. But in typical RINO fashion, she has refused thus far to endorse her conservative opponent, Doug Hoffman. No, she has stopped her campaign but not her aspirations nor her effort to go to Congress - she is still on the ballot.

So, instead of a bang, her campaign ends in a whiny whimper:

Dear Friends and Supporters:

Throughout the course of my campaign for Congress, I have made the people of the 23rd District and the issues that affect them the focal point of my campaign. As a life long resident of this District, I care deeply and passionately about its people and our way of life. Whether as a candidate for Congress, a State Assemblywoman or a small town Mayor, I have always sought to act with the best interest of our District and its residents in mind—and today I again seek to act for the good of our community.

She looks like she cares passionately about mashed potatoes and gravy. And with her concern for abortion and gay issues she certainly does not represent a typical Upstate NY'er; ergo the support forHoffman. Consider this NY Times analysis:

Political scientist Boris Shor did some sophisticated analyses of her voting record in the State Legislature, comparing her to legislators across the country. Her voting record puts her almost exactly in the middle of legislators nationwide. That means she’s a moderate, though slightly right of center in the context of New York.

But the Times did not refer to this bit of research, also done by Boris:

Scozzafava’s score puts her in the 58th percentile of her party, which makes her slightly more conservative than the average Republican legislator in Albany, so she’s a conservative in her party.[...]

But, of course, she’s a New York Republican and conservative. And if you thought that Republican equals conservative, and Democratic equals liberal, you’d be pretty far off when looking at America’s 50 state legislatures. New York’s Republicans (along with Massachusetts’, Connecticut’s, Hawaii’s, and New Jersey’s) are the most liberal in the country, so much so that Democrats in Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and South Carolina are all more conservative on average.

All this means is that the average NYS Republican ain't worth the powder to blow him to hell and gone. And you can burn NYS dems as the fuse. With Dede, the roles are interchangable. But back to the Whimpering Chronicles:

The opportunity to run as the Republican and Independence Party candidate to represent the 23rd District has been and remains one of the greatest honors of my life. During the past several months, as I’ve traveled the district, meeting and talking with voters about the issues that matter most to them, I’ve been overwhelmed by the amount of support I’ve received as I sought to serve as their voice in Washington. However, as Winston Churchill once said, Democracy can be a fickle employer, and the road to public office is not always a smooth one.

I guess it doesn't take much to overwhelm this sow. Two lesbians handing her a Ding Dong and a bottle of YooHoo got her blubbering with gratitude. Unfortunately she couldn't get a nickel deposit on the empty YooHoo bottle because she needed the cash far more than the carbs. And what's with the Winnie Churchill quote? She is not in the same universe, much less the same league, as Churchill who brought his nation through WWII. She barely manages to fight her way through a double order of lasagna.

In recent days, polls have indicated that my chances of winning this election are not as strong as we would like them to be. The reality that I’ve come to accept is that in today’s political arena, you must be able to back up your message with money—and as I’ve been outspent on both sides, I’ve been unable to effectively address many of the charges that have been made about my record. But as I’ve said from the start of this campaign, this election is not about me, it’s about the people of this District. And, as always, today I will do what I believe serves their interests best.

Like a snow ball dancing on top of a furnace, the brave Dede considers if she should jump in or out. The problem is her voting record is the message. The amount of money needed to overcome that obstacle will require Soros-like contributions and la-la pills for the entire 23rd District.

It is increasingly clear that pressure is mounting on many of my supporters to shift their support. Consequently, I hereby release those individuals who have endorsed and supported my campaign to transfer their support as they see fit to do so. I am and have always been a proud Republican. It is my hope that with my actions today, my Party will emerge stronger and our District and our nation can take an important step towards restoring the enduring strength and economic prosperity that has defined us for generations.

Seems like Newt She released her supporters, all three of them, but she is not removing her name from the ballot. Dede would rather have the democrat Oswens win than see Hoffman off to Congress. All she is trying to do is avoid blame for an Owens victory. But she is right in one respect, the Republican Party will emerge stronger after this cow is culled from the herd.

On Election Day my name will appear on the ballot, but victory is unlikely. To those who support me – and to those who choose not to – I offer my sincerest thanks.

Dede

She has stopped campaigning; she must - she's just about broke. But she is still running. It is because of candidates like Dede that I no longer want to be affiliated with the Republican Party and why so many others feel the same way. For all intents and purposes, America has become a one party system. We'll see by this time in 2010 if anything has changed.




1 comment:

Mope said...

But just like every other screen monster, she comes back to life...

"During the day Saturday, she began to quietly and thoughtfully encourage her supporters to vote for Democrat William L. Owens."
http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20091101/OPINION01/311019918/-1/OPINION

Ain't that the way the story goes?