Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Precioussssssssssssss

I went looking at new cars last week, not really expecting to buy anything. My Impala was eight years old and was still running fine, but I was thinking about replacing it because I knew things were starting to go - power steering was leaking, noise from the rear end, rust is starting to grab hold of the sheet metal, etc.

I had been looking at cars in the classifieds and researching them on the web for the past three months. So the wife, my youngest girl and I took a trip. I have owned nothing but Chevys for the past fifteen years but I got tired of the so-so quality and that Chevy can not seem make a vehicle with decent windows. All three of my last Chevys have had problems with the windows.

We test drove Fords. First the Edge, but I didn't like the ride; it over steers, the head rest forces your head forward unnaturally and the brakes felt like crap. And that was just what many reviews said about it. I really liked its looks so I wanted to see for myself. They were right - but it is still a fine looking crossover. Too bad.


Then we drove an Escape and I really liked the ride, but I wanted something bigger so we can pack all our gear when we go to summer camp.


Then I test drove the 2007 Explorer. Yep, that's the one. This is my first 4X4 vehicle. I have owed several pick ups and an old Chevy Suburban in the past but nothing quite like this.

It's in the driveway now. It has satellite radio, Advance Track RSC and 4X4 transmission (auto, high and low), third row seats and overdrive. There's a lot more options that the Explorers could have had but I am not one for a lot of bells and whistles. This suits me just fine and the price was extremely affordable. The combined city/highway mileage is just 2 or 3 miles per gallon less than what the Impala was getting - the Explorer is getting about 16 - 17 mpg. A round trip to work is only 14 miles for me.

Now I can't wait for the Upstate NY winter to kick in. Come on snow!

No comments: