Monday, March 10, 2008

What's In An Oath?

From this in 2007-

ALBANY, NY, Monday, Jan. 1 — With his wife, his children and his parents looking on, Eliot Laurence Spitzer was officially sworn in at midnight as the 54th governor of New York State during a private ceremony at the governor’s mansion.

To this in just 434 days:

NEW YORK (AP) - A law enforcement official has told The Associated Press that New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer's involvement in a prostitution ring was caught on a federal wiretap.The official says Spitzer is identified in court papers as "Client 9," and the wiretap was part of an investigation that opened in the last few months.

Sometime during the one year, two months and a week and a half of his administration, Gov. Spitzer forgot this oath:

“I, Eliot Spitzer, do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution
of the United States and the Constitution of the State of New York, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the governor of the State of New York according to the best of my abilities, so help me God.”
And this oath got trashed along the way too:
I, Eliot Spitzer, take you Silda Wall, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.

It must have been twenty-five years ago or more that I read about a speech given by an IBM Vice President at an corporate executive leadership conference. In this speech he warned his fellow executives that a man who breaks his marriage vow cannot be trusted. For if a man cannot be trusted to remain faithful to his own wife, how can you expect him to remain faithful to his employers, his peers or his subordinates? The same goes for public office and the trust we should be able to place in our public servants.

Elliot Spitzer has failed the public and disgraced himself. He must resign immediately.

I really can't gloat over the fall of Elliot Spitzer. I feel for the Spitzer family - his lovely wife and daughters. Good Lord, look at the photos and see how this has aged her. I can only imagine how this affects his teen-aged daughters. I simply shudder at the thought of my own four daughters going through this. And that is one of the reasons why I manage my life the way I do.

That Spitzer would drag his wife in front of the cameras and publicly humiliate her in this fashion speaks volumes of her good grace and character and says all we need to know about his lack thereof.

He is a piece of manipulative crap and the State will be better off as soon as he packs his bags and shuffles off into ignominy.

No comments: