Friday, August 10, 2007

Olfactory Memory

When I was in the second grade we lived in East Meadow, Long Island. Next door to us was an Italian family - I can't remember their names. But I remember the Italian food. The mom would cook an Italian dinner for my Dad every now and then. The aroma of one dish in particular used to drive me crazy. I recognize the dish now as stuffed manicotti, but I could never place what made it smell the way it did; I have had it at restaurants and it never smelled the same. It just smelled so delicious - my Dad never shared a bite with us kids.

Over forty years later I finally got to smell that aroma again and it was like I was eight years old.

It's Locatelli Perino Romano cheese.

I make my wife buy it now.

It's $12.49 a pound.

I don't care.

If they made perfume out of it I'd buy that for her also.

No comments: