Saturday, February 23, 2008

Angry White Guys

I read an article in the Aspen Times Weekly regarding the effects of marginalized, disenfranchised Caucasian males on the next election. It got me to thinking about the guys.

The guys the cops don't have to chase to pay their child support or parking tickets.

The guys who buy their wives the exact same box of chocolate on Valentine's Day for years because that's her favorite chocolate and they're not gonna take a chance and screw that up and by God the restaurant cook better not mess up her chicken dinner this time.

The guys who punch the clock, put in their time, pay their dues and keep their mouths shut - because that's what their Dads did.

The guys who bust their asses day after day, month after month and year after year just so they can go home, relax with a beer, play with their kids, maybe watch the tube for a bit and then go to bed so they can get up early and do it all over again; day after day, week after week...

And these guys are fine with it.

The Angry White Guys. And we're all over the map.

What do we want? What do I want?

First and foremost I want my three remaining daughters to marry the kind of man my oldest daughter married and give me more grandkids that the wife and I can fuss over.

I want my kids to have half way decent jobs that pay them enough not to be tempted to steal but not so much that they think they don't need God.

I want them all to grow up and grow old in a country where:

1) Greedy, self serving politicians are known exactly for what they are and summarily strung up from utility poles (ain't that a dream).
2) The Constitution is honored for what it is, a document that ensures the greatest amount of protection from government interference for an entire nation.
3) Men work for their families instead of spending four or five months (see your tax freedom day here) working instead just to pay taxes; taxes used so that others may slide over an unregulated national border and live off your dollar. And it is never enough.

I don't see this coming from the less than stellar choices I'll have on the ballot this year.

The Angry White Guys. That's us.

We threw the British out for less. We fought for the right to petition the government for redress of grievances. And they'd better start listening.

That's why we have National Ammo Day on November 19th.

No comments: