Saturday, March 14, 2009

... And Let Slip The Pucks Of War

We're going to a hockey game tonight.
The Syracuse Crunch plays Rochester.
If we're lucky we'll take home a souvenir tooth.
This is exciting.

I remember the very first hockey game my Dad took my brother and I to see; It must have been around 1961 or '62.
The Long Island Ducks played the Johnstown Jets in a home game at in the Commack Arena, a ten minute drive from our house. There was a fight about every 30 seconds. Some lady got smacked in the face with a puck and had to be carried out.

I saw my first concert in the Commack Arena in 1965. Somewhere along the line it got changed to the Long Island Arena.
The Commack Drive In movie was right next door. I got something there for the first time also.

The Arena was torn down in 1996. The entire area is now strip malls and stores. I was there four years ago and couldn't recognize it.

No comments: