Saturday, January 09, 2010

Thirty-Five Years Ago


This picture was taken during the first few days of January, 1975. It is the graduating class of the Central New York Regional Police Academy. Eight different LE agencies are represented here. No, I am not pointing out where I am.
About a week after this photo was taken, I was involved in my first balls to the wall police pursuit. My FTO was shooting out of the passenger window, four patrol cars were smashed up, three cops went to the hospital. The fleeing driver smashed his vehicle, a 1963 Chevy Impala, into a tree and was apprehended in the backyards. He received immediate wall-to-wall counseling.
The picture was sent to me by classmate Reuel Todd, who is now the Oswego County Sheriff. I will tell you where I believe he is; kneeling, second from the right. None of us look the same.
Three of my classmates have passed on, all from cancer. Two are standing right next to each other.

Lord, we were so young.

No comments: