Saturday, December 22, 2007

Tagged Again

I got tagged by Dan Sumers and in the spirit of Christmas I'll go to the range list my Xmas preferences.

1. Wrapping or gift bags?
I wrap. There is something about a package all squared away with the edges all neat and secure.

The presents were wrapped and snug in their beds with rivers of scotch tape surrounding their heads.

2. Real or artificial tree?
I tried the real trees for a while but for the last eighteen years or so it's been artificial trees.

The kids can't stop sighing, alack and alas, they hate artificial but real ones give me gas.

3. When do you put up the tree?
For the past few years it's been right after the 4th of July. Really, the kids want it up earlier and earlier.

They want it all decorated and up in a snap; but as for me, I don't give a crap.

4. When do you take the tree down?
As soon as we get out of rehab after New Year’s Day. Actually we are all teetotalers.

As soon as the New Year is here, I demand to see nothing but air where that tree used to stand.

5. Do you like egg nog?
I love egg nog, but it no longer loves me.

Egg nog is great, it goes down nice and slick; but if I drink it too much, it just makes me sick.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
It was a train set my Dad made for my brother and I. He set it on a big board and built a Christmas village around it with lighted houses and trees and sidewalks and everything. I was eight so it had to be Christmas of 1957. It was behind some blankets and sheets hung from the floor joists in the basement.

He must have been listening to all of our prayers 'cause he built it in secret and hid it downstairs.


7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes, a Precious Moments one we keep on the mantle. My wife loves it and we have had it for years.

It really is charming, it makes quite a scene, we've had it a spell - in years 'bout fifteen.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
From my mother. Horrid, simply horrid "I Hate My Sons" baggy green corduroy pants with black flecks.

I was heart broken that morning, it was not what I wished, whenever I walked the dang things went "swish."

9. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
Mail. But the gubmint is making this harder and harder. I can remember 3 cent stamps.

They've gone up another three cents since this summer; I hate sending letters, it's really a bummer.

10. Favorite Christmas movie?
The Great Escape. It is my favorite movie to on Christmas or any time.

Steve McQueen is the bomb, dodging ground fire; escaping the Nazis by jumping barbed wire.

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
As early as possible or whenever I can get paid. Sometimes that's a real problem - like this year.

I'm just too discouraged to bang out a rhyme, it's been two and a half months since they paid me a dime.

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Roast Turkey. Not fried. With all the fixin's.

I'd run twenty miles, all huffing and puffing, for a roast turkey dinner with potatoes and stuffing.

13. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Clear. And colored. We have one of those trees with the fiber optic bundles that change color. It really is pretty and not gaudy at all.

It may have come on a midnight clear, but fiber optic lights are the in thing this year.

14. Favorite Christmas song?
This is a tough one. I love Christmas carols, but "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" is my fave.

Hark! The Herald Angels sing, "Glory to the newborn King."
There just ain't no improving that.

Following the tradition, I’m tagging…
Ten Ten
The Merry Widow

No comments: