Saturday, July 22, 2006

Good Night And Good Riddance

Doug Thompson, the editor and publisher of The Society for the Advancement of Bush Derangement Syndrome, AKA Capital Hill Blue, has cried "Uncle." In a post titled, "Good Night and Good Luck", Thompson tells his readers that:
"The plan two years ago was to spend more time on my photography, video documentary work and community service. That was the plan. Didn't quite work out that way. I tried to walk away from Blue two years ago but a number of factors drew me back in."
Yuppers, his good friends George Harleigh and Terry Wilkinson conned him into it.
"Over the past few weeks it has become more and more obvious that I should have stuck to my guns two years ago and walked away. It was past time and I had a good team in place to take over. Instead I waded back in like a savior that wasn't needed and mucked up the whole mess."
Hindsight is always a remarkable teacher when a few conservative bloggers rub your face in the "Intertube turd" you just shat out.
"We've made some mistakes over the past few years and too many of them have been my doing. I've been too eager to jump on a story, too willing to go public without all the facts and too determined to be first, even if it meant going with improperly sourced material. I've been lazy and too willing to use material that someone gave me without verifying the material ..."
Seeing as though you've been so busy editing out all the lies you've published over the years, we wonder how you managed to get this out at all.
"or even making sure the source was who they claimed to be."
Or even making sure they exist at all. Let's go back to his self-serving introduction:
"I've spent some 40 years in journalism and/or politics and 12 years with this web site/mistress called Capitol Hill Blue."
Forty years of laziness, incompetence, lies and slander.
"Some of the stories I chose to publish did not meet the standards of journalism that I had spent the previous four decades striving to meet. They may have been true or at least I believed them to be true but "may" and "believe" are not good enough."
I wonder how hard his "striving" really was. Probably on the same level as Dan Rather and Mary Mapes. "May" and "believe" were good enough for forty years Gunga Doug, what happened?

And just in case anyone should start to feel sorry for this sad sack of journalistic excrement, read this nonsense from his 2003 truth debacle:
"The bottom line is that someone has been running a con on me for 20 some years and I fell for it like a little old lady in a pigeon drop scheme. I've spent the last two hours going through the database of Capitol Hill Blue stories and removing any that were based on information from Wilkinson (or whoever he is)."
First, Thompson swallows everything this Wilkinson source feeds him for two decades without ever establishing any credentials whatsoever. Second, he goes and attempts to hide his incompetence by removing all references to these stories.

In his explaining the affaire de Wilkinson, Thompson says this:
It will be a long time (and perhaps never) before I trust someone else who comes forward and offers inside information. The next one who does had better be prepared to produce a birth certificate, a driver's license and his grandmother's maiden name."
BZZZZZZZT! Wrong. Thompson learned absolutely nothing from his debacle, Quite the contrary, he does it all over again! Another exercise in advocacy journalism that gets shot down by someone who has fifteen minutes to spare. Bush Derangement Syndrome in extemis.

The entire Intertube Community is better served if you go hide yourself in the hills of Virgina and spend the next forty years digging deer tics out of your ass.

My thanks to Classical Values for the excellent work in exposing this fraud.

No comments: